Friday, March 8, 2002

The Man with Two Names



Over the seventeen years we were together, I had been asked many times what name my husband went by, Clarence or Andy. My answer always was, "Either one. I call him 'Honey'."

The truth of the matter is, I didn't really know myself. When I first met him as my patient, all the staff called him Clarence. Me too. After a couple of months, I asked him if he had a nickname, used his middle name, or if he always went by Clarence. His reply was "I don't care what anybody calls me, as long as it isn't 'Late to Supper'." Finally he said, "You can call me Andy."

I started introducing him to my friends as Andy, but later found out he had never been called that until I met him! So, half of his world knows him as Andy, the other half knows him as Clarence.

The name to call him is whatever he has been to you.

He is still 'Honey' to me.



No comments: