Friday, June 18, 2004

"The Journey" home from Chicago


Something awesome happened to me on the way home from Chicago.

Shelby and I spent the weekend in Chicago with a bunch of my friends from the young widow online group. One of my good online buddies is Carol S. Carol just recently had a book published about her love and life with her husband Joe.

You all know that I am a believer of "signs," and I have received several that I can't explain other than to say "Andy must have sent them!" However, this time I think I received a sign from Carol's husband, Joe!

Before we left Chicago, Carol presented me a copy of her book of Joe's journal "The Journey," beautifully inscribed for me and Arthur. I was thrilled, touched, and couldn't wait to read it!

It was a great way to spend several hours on the train. I was moved to tears many times, but I am used to weeping in public since Andy's death, so I was not embarrassed in the least. I especially enjoyed the passage where Joe tells Carol "Whenever you see a butterfly, think of me."

I read the book from cover to cover, and finished it about an hour before we arrived at Union Station in Fort Worth. When we arrived, Shelby and I toted our luggage into the station, and sat near a door where there was an outlet for me to recharge my cell phone. Just after we sat down, a huge, beautiful brown and orange butterfly flew right by us, and landed on the door to the outside. He beat on the door with his wings several times, so I told Shelby "I think he wants out." She opened the door, and he flew away!

About two hours later, we boarded the train to Oklahoma City, joyful that our trip was almost over. When we we passed over the highway as we left the station, I looked down, and there, flying along I-35 heading to Oklahoma City, was a huge brown and orange butterfly! Was he the same one we saw earlier???

I believe Joe was happy that I read and was touched by his story, and was guiding us home. I also think he wanted me to tell Carol what happened (which I did)... as another message to her about how pleased he is how beautifully the book turned out.

Thank you Carol and Joe.

No comments: