Saturday, January 8, 2005

Rings and Things



Some musings about all my rings...

My right hand proudly wears Andy's wedding band on the index finger, my wedding and anniversary bands on the ring finger, and a Valentines gift ring from him on my pinkie.

I moved my wedding band and anniversary ring from my left hand to my right on the second wedding anniversary after his death. I did that in a slightly melodramatic but satisfying self ceremony at his gravesite.

I still feel good that I kept Andy's wedding band and replaced it with a silver one prior to his burial. We had agreed many years before that neither of us would bury the other with an expensive piece of jewelry. I hated to think of him forever ringless, though... It still surprises me that my widow-brain was able to come up with that idea at the time.

Now, even with new wedding rings on the left representing the present, I take comfort in having the right hand honor my past, and the memories that go with it.

After all, who I am today is made up of the total sum of my life... past and present.

No comments: