Sunday, January 27, 2008

House hunting in January



For the past three years I have been writing about moving.

When Arthur and I were first married, it was almost an insurmountable task to even consider selling my house. There was SO much work to be done! And, truth be told, I wasn't even sure how to go about selling. We decided to go ahead and let Arthur do the repairs and cosmetics needed to get the house ready for market. He made arrangements for contractors to do the big things he couldn't handle on his own.

The house now has a new roof, new heat and air (with ducts completely re-routed through the ceiling since the floor ducts had collapsed.) We have had the plumbing repaired and new carpeting and tile placed. There is fresh paint inside and out. The landscaping has been redone. (That's MY specialty!)

There are only a couple more relatively minor things that need to be completed. We are in a financial situation where we are well able to purchase another house. But I keep dragging my stupid feet!!!

February looms on the horizon. Six years since Andy died. The month of infamy. It's always hard for me to get my act together in February to deal with even minor issues. Perhaps it would be a good thing to put the house up for sale in February, though. Kind of fitting, in a way, to say goodbye to the house the same month I said goodbye to him.

Today I decided we are going to finally make that move. Arthur has been so wonderful about this, and has let me decide when the time is right. I feel like the time is now. Shelby is entering her senior year of high school. I want her to feel like the new house is "home" when she goes away to college. John wants to move. Arthur and I need a place that is "ours." It's time. It's time. It's time! (I keep repeating to myself.)

Tomorrow we are going to look at a house a friend of mine has for sale. It has everything on our wish list, and the price is right.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

~TigereyeSal~ said...

Good Luck to you Stella, and courage!

Sally