Friday, August 8, 2008

There's a new flower in my garden...


Little surprises are the best things in life, and one of the best places to find them is in a garden. Here’s the story leading up to the latest surprise.

The spring after Andy died, I bought a whole bunch of flower bulbs and seeds during a spree of grief-related retail therapy, but I had no inclination to plant them. They have been at the back of my gardening cupboard ever since, along side of a baby food jar full of Hollyhock seeds given to me by a friend from work.

I planted some of the Hollyhocks last year on a whim. The seeds were 5 years old by that time, and I really didn’t expect them to grow.

Well, they DID grow, and they are blooming this year!



This gave me the incentive to plant all the rest of the 2002 seeds and bulbs a few minutes ago. Without a doubt, like the Hollyhocks and life in general, something new and beautiful will be blooming in my garden soon! :)








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Stella!

I love the "heirloom" flowers, too. I have some hollyhocks that I had to move, and I have some California poppies that go to Don's grave on his sadiversary. It saddens me that so few people have those flowers in their gardens any longer.

Admittedly, they are "messier" than modern flowers, but so lovely.

I had some Cock's combs, but they stopped coming up a few years ago. If I find some pics, I will post them - because in one, it looks like the huge, middle one is flipping everyone off! What a widows' flower, huh?

~TigereyeSal~ said...

I LOVE hollyhocks- I'm thinking I should plant some at this house, since they're one of the few flowers we don't have here.

Anonymous said...

How beautiful, and what a wonderful symbol that life goes on!