Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Cinnamon is one of the oldest spices known to man


... and also in my household.

John pulled the cinnamon out of the cupboard yesterday, and idly turned it over in his hands before using some on his applesauce.

"Does cinnamon ever go bad, Mom?"

"Good question, John. Why do you ask?"

"Well, we have had this same container for practically my whole life."

I immediately snatched it from him to inspect it. Oh no! Exactly when did I buy that cinnamon?

The more I thought about it, the more horrified I became. I couldn't pinpoint exactly when the spice came into the house, but it dawned on me that I had used that exact same cinnamon to make apple pies when Andy was alive!!! (as in over 8 years ago.)

John didn't get sick yesterday, so I guess it wasn't too poisonous. But still, ewwww!

Guess I'll call my mother tomorrow and ask, "Does cinnamon ever go bad, Mom?"


No comments: