Monday, September 23, 2002

It's Oklahoma State Fair Time


As I have mentioned, the State Fair was always a BIG DEAL to us, especially my Andy. The first few years that we went, back when I was young and strong, I would help lift him onto the rides with the assistance of kids and carnies. He got such a charge out of the rides, you would have thought he was a kid himself. His favorite was the Himalayan.

The first year we went, he, Kathy, and I went on the Pirate Ship. That almost turned out to be a fatal mistake. Because of his paralysis, his body weight was distributed differently than other people, making him very "top-heavy." We sat in the very back, and each time the ship swung up, his bottom would come right off the seat, almost throwing him out... and DOWN! It was all we could do to hold him in there! Kathy and I were scared STIFF!

For years that man would tease "Let's go on the Pirate Ship again!!"

I have never ridden the ride again, even without him.

No comments: