Tuesday, September 17, 2002

An Open Letter to my Sweetheart on his Birthday




Sweet A.B.,

I just wanted to say hi, and let you know that I am thinking about you on your birthday. I wish you could be here to share it with us.

It doesn't seem the same here this time of year without all of those cards showing up in the mail. It was almost like Christmas! I know all of the big kids sent some, and my Mom, plus it wouldn't have been your birthday without cards from your sisters, reminding you how OLD you were getting to be! You were always quite dignified, saying that you were very proud because you had worked hard to earn all of those wrinkles and grey hairs. You must have worked very, VERY hard......oh...!

I was thinking about all the fun we have had on your birthday in years past. Remember your 40th? Besides the newspaper ad, we had that party at Art's with the black balloons and "over the hill" stuff, where Kathy played all of that morbid music on the keyboard. You thought you were older than dirt THEN!! Then we spent the evening calling each other Ugly. No, I am not uglier than you!!!

Or, how about the year when Lesley was taking Home Ec. She decided to bake you a double chocolate M&M birthday cake, and Jimmy helped. It turned out looking like a pile of dirt. (Tasted good, though!)

Then there was the year that for some unknown reason I bought you the bear that moved it's mouth to any sound. When we put it in front of some country music we all almost died laughing! You never laughed easily, but you were almost crying at that one!

Another memorable birthday was the one in 2000, when you were in the hospital. I will never forget how proud you were of that smoker that we had waiting for you. You showed the photo to everybody that came in your room. We didn't think that you would live to ever see it, let alone use it. But you rallied, and were able to come home, see it, then finally you were strong enough to put it together and smoked 2 hams and a turkey. And they were wonderful, just like the other stuff you used to smoke on the old grill.

I know we used to try to celebrate your birthday every year with Mary Kay and Cactus. Some years we were able to, some not. We had several good restaurant meals with them. But, darn, you would never let us order you any CHICKEN!

Doug and Marilyn were here for your birthday alot.I remember you always liked Marilyn's strawberry cake. I think she made it for your birthday more than once. Of course, I know that you could have lived without Doug's OFF KEY singing! You were a good sport, though, and never even threatened him with bodily harm.

Your last birthday was overshadowed by September 11. I was in such a fog that I can't even remember what we did for your birthday. But I do know that whatever we did was done with love, and I am grateful that I had you here to hold my hand during that time.

So anyway, the kids and I are thinking of you on your day. I love you forever. Even if you are ugly.

XOXOXOXO
Love, B.B.




1 comment:

Stella said...

Replies from original site 2002:

Mary Kay and Cactus- Sep 15, 2002 Edit | Delete | Viewers | Reply to this item

Well, I`m crying again, Steph. You are so lucky to have had the love that you shared with Clarence. A lot of people never know that kind of love that even death can not take away. I miss him a lot, & love you & the kids a lot. MKR


Kim - Sep 18, 2002 Edit | Delete | Viewers | Reply to this item

What a beautiful tribute, Stephanie...loving and tender, sprinkled with humor. I agree with Mary Kay that you are lucky for sharing that kind of love with him.

Andrea - Sep 24, 2002 Edit | Delete | Viewers | Reply to this item
You and Dad were so lucky to have each other. His love still comes to you and you send him yours all the time. Thanks for the cry and laugh. Love you all