Tuesday, April 8, 2008

My friend Sue



Susie will be gone fourteen years tomorrow.

For anybody new that may be reading this, Arthur’s late wife Sue was one of my best friends. This presents a complication in my marriage to Arthur that most of my re-partnered friends don’t need to worry about.

Sometimes I have problems reconciling my love for Arthur with my loyalty to the memory of Susie, although I understand in my rational brain that she is no longer here. I am not replacing her, and I'm sure she would understand why Arthur and I ended up together. In fact, knowing Sue, she would be so concerned about Arthur that she would want me to be with him.

Awhile back, Arthur had a “visitation” dream. Since I know Sue so well, his description gave me chills.

Art had a really severe, splitting headache and was in bed in the afternoon. I had to take one of the kids to some band activity for a couple of hours. I kissed him goodbye, and left.

When I came home, Arthur woke up and said "I had this really vivid dream that Sue was here. She said that since I was hurting so bad and you had to be away that she would sit with me until you came back."

It would be so like Sue to do something like that.

The past few years I have focused on the fact that April 9th brings so much pain to Arthur. But, although I will be kind to him tomorrow, I need to take time to remember my friend who means much, much more to me than simply being Arthur’s late wife.

More tomorrow.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stella
This is the first time I have read much about the history with you and your husband and his late wife. I knew that you and she had been friends, but not much more.

Its such a touching story, and what a wonderful friendship you and Sue shared.

My thoughts are with you during this very difficult time

Pam