Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Preparing for Prom (from the shallow end of my brain!)


This entry is going to be rather shallow. After the emotion I put into my posts the past week, I need a breather. Shallow is good! Good for me today, anyway.

I am finding myself caught up in the excitement of the impending Junior/Senior prom. Although Shelby has attended other formal dances, there is something special about the prom.

At least proms aren’t what they were back in my day. When I was in high school, if we didn’t have a partner, we didn’t get to go. It was panic time if it was less than 8 weeks before the big day and we didn’t have a date. Some of the girls would turn down an invitation because they were waiting for a specific guy to ask them, and then ended up missing out. Or, they would accept an invite from somebody they didn’t like, only to have their prince ask them after it was too late. It was a cardinal sin to break a date to go with somebody else, but once in awhile that would happen and, oh the scandal!

That was a very long time ago. You know, way back when we had to walk 5 miles to school in the snow, uphill both ways. (smile!) Nowadays the kids go to prom with a date, with a friend, with a group of people, or alone. I think that’s the way it should be. Nobody should have to miss their prom!!

Shelby tried on her dress for the first time tonight. We actually bought it a couple of years ago at a wonderful bargain price. (I am an A number 1 bargain hunter, but that is food for another post.)

The day we found it she fell in love with it, although she had no idea where to wear it. Normally I won’t buy things just for the heck of it, but the dress was gorgeous, and the price was right.

It turns out that even with heels it is too long. At 6’1” I always had the opposite problem. Anyway, we are hoping that Aunt Kathy will come to the rescue with her sewing skills!

These are the shoes Shelby picked out. Until now I didn't know that Payless Shoes did dye-to-match,
but they did a great job!


Here are some rhinestones fit for a princess, and now Shelby is just counting down the days.





Sorry, I'm not usually so fluffy brained, but now and then girls just wanna have fun! :)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never went to prom (or homecoming). It was old school back then and the dateless wonders like me were left out totally. Still, as a former high school teacher I wondered a bit at the extravagance. It seemed a lot of money was being spent by kids who didn't have much to begin with for just one night (I am talking money that would make you think "wedding" not "prom"). I didn't have a chance to chaperone prom either. Didn't have anyone to watch my child in those days.

Cute dress and very pretty daughter, by the way.

Stella said...

I did get to go to the prom, but I was one of the girls who held my breath for awhile not knowing whether anybody was going to invite me. Remembering the unfairness and angst of that time is exactly why I am glad that things have changed and everybody is now welcome to attend prom. (My own prom is the subject of my next post if I ever get a moment to scan some photos!)

In other ways times were simpler then, though. I don't remember anybody arriving in a limo to my prom for instance, and if there were any after-prom parties I wasn't aware of them. I am not a fan of ultra-extravagance either. (My kids call me a cheapskate!) The proms were really beginning to take on that wedding-like atmosphere around the time my now 30 year old son was in high school.

Thanks for your comments! :)

Anonymous said...

Stella, Shelby looks absolutely stunning...you have some precious girl there! And what a wonderful choice she made...great taste..I hope she has lots of fun at the prom...huggies from Ontario, Canada..Anja

Kathy Gutzman Dowdle said...

When is the prom exactly? Shelby looks beautiful in yellow!