Friday, September 25, 2009

Friday night Dancing


I have made it no secret that I love square dancing, and that is where I met Arthur when I was sixteen years old. But I would like to tell the story of how it all began.

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, a square dance hall was created.


The place was a dancer's dream. Huge oak beams supported a magical building that was large enough to hold 18 squares of dancers. Generations of families would drive from miles around for a day or evening of dosados and allemandes on the huge, shiny floating wood floor.

The hall became the host of many different square dance and round dance clubs from the region, and many posted their club signs along the walls. From daybreak to bedtime one could always find something going on there, no matter what time or day of the week. There were senior clubs on weekdays. Young adult clubs on weeknights. Teen clubs on Sunday afternoons. Each club had it's own unique personality, along with it's own enthusiastic caller.

This wonderful place in Livonia, Michigan was named "Modern Squares," often lovingly referred to as "The Barn."

Sadly, sometime in the late 1970's, the Barn burned to the ground, and was never rebuilt. The different clubs scattered to separate locations, and much of the magic was lost.

But it was at The Barn, as a teen I first learned to square dance. Looking back 35 years later, dancing with the Teen Wheelers remains one of the favorite things I have done in my life.



Ah... what great memories!



But what ever possessed me to start square dancing in the first place?

My best friend started dancing at the "suggestion" of her parents. Actually, the suggestion was more to the point of a threat of dish duty for the following million or so years if she didn't. So, Kathy ended up accepting the offer she couldn't refuse... and ended up LOVING it!

So, as a best friend will, she told me all about her wonderful new discovery.


"Stephanie! You have to go square dancing with me next Sunday! It's a blast!"


"Um... SQUARE DANCING??? No WAY! That's for SQUARES!"

"You don't know what you're talking about! It's so much fun. And... wait 'till you see all the cute GUYS that are there!"

As it turned out, I had nothing else to do the following Sunday afternoon. Plus the enticement of the availability of "cute guys" was enough to convince sixteen-year-old me to give it a try.

So, on a cool day in September, I reluctantly joined Kathy at the Barn on Seven Mile. Or, rather, she dragged me there!


Here are a few treasured photos from my early days of square dancing.























Well, that was then.

This is now! Arthur and I returned to square dancing two years ago. We dance with a club called "The Swinging Rebels." Once again we have a dance to prepare for every couple of weeks. It takes me back to my teen years, getting all dressed up with the anticipation of having a great time! (and I'm embarrassed to admit... I love an excuse to wear a petticoat and frills.)





These photos were taken at the recent Central District festival.



I was the lucky winner of this horse from a prize drawing! :)












Here is a 30 second clip for Film Clip Friday:




I have no doubt that I will continue to square dance until they carry me out of the hall!



2 comments:

Ronni said...

Do you make your own outfits? Or, if not, where do you get them? They are lovely...

Stella said...

The red and white outfits were made by the ladies from our club. We all got together on two Saturday afternoons and had a "sewing bee." It was a lot of fun, and we were able to make each outfit for 1/3 as much as we would have paid to buy them.

Many clubs have a "Clothing Closet" for new dancers, because the dresses, petticoats, etc can be expensive. That allows new dancers to decide if they like it without having a large expense up front. (But, what's not to love about square dancing??)