Sunday, December 5, 2010

A new tree for Grandma's table


This is not the first time I have posted this photo of a three-year-old me with my Grandma, but this photo holds such special memories. The little pink tree was absolute childhood magic with it's glitter and feather birds swaying in the twilight shadows, beneath tiny clear twinkle lights. Grandma and her wonderful tree were treasures that seemingly would be part of my life forever.


Then one year, to my sorrow, Grandma's little tree was gone. Evidently it had become quite shabby, although I never noticed. I begged her to get another pink tree, but she was unable to find one. Styles change, and aluminum trees were the newest "in" thing. That didn't suit either one of us, so the glittery birds took up residence among the other ornaments in the full sized tree.

(They looked just like these, but they had feathers on them.)

Years passed and one by one the bird ornaments broke or fell apart. I grew up, married. Jimmy came into the world, then Grandma died and took some more of the magic with her. When Grandpa moved in with my parents, I was given several pieces of their furniture that I still treasure today. Several pieces... including the little drop-leaf table that the little tree used to sit on every year.

During a recent shopping trip I was stunned to see nothing less than a little pink Christmas tree nestled among the taller green trees in the store. It was a bit different than the original, but it was little and pink! I didn't have enough cash with me then, but Art brought it home today and we set it up on Grandma's table.



The memories make it beautiful. I wonder... I wonder if glittery feather birds could bring back some of the magic...


3 comments:

Alicia said...

It may not bring back your Grandma's magic, but it will create new magic for your own grandbabies! How wonderful.

Stella said...

I am so looking forward to that!
:-)

linda said...

Hooray for the new Grandma's tree. And for finding the one bird from the original!