Monday, February 2, 2009

Late Lament is my poem for the day


I am joining Annie in a silent poetry reading today. Here is how it works:

What?
A Bloggers (Silent) Poetry Reading

When?
Anytime February 2, 2009

Where?
Your blog (or here in the comments if you prefer).

Why?
Some poetry is warming. It cracks the ice in the heart of the Earth to remind her that spring is just around the corner. … or, if you live south of the equator, choose poetry to cool the heart of the Earth so as to remind her that fall is coming.

How?
Select a poem you like — by a favorite poet or one of your own — to post February 2nd.

What else?
Feel free to pass this invitation to any and all bloggers.

Since it is almost the end of Feb 2nd, I am sure the rules can be loosened a bit. Great poetry will still be good on the 3rd of Feb or beyond! :)

It just so happens that this was running through my head even before I knew aboout todays event. This poem always makes me think of Arthur because I was at his house when I heard it the first time back in the early '70's. Can anybody remember what work this is from? (No fair looking it up on Google!)


Late Lament


Breathe deep the gathering gloom

Watch lights fade from every room

Bedsitter people look back and lament

Another day's useless energy is spent

Impassioned lovers wrestle as one

Lonely man cries for love and has none

New mother picks up and suckles her son

Senior citizens wish they were young



Cold-hearted orb that rules the night

Removes the colours from our sight

Red is grey and yellow white

But we decide which is right

And which is an illusion


~~~~~~~~~~


It is sobering to think that we were young that day we listened to it together so long ago, and today we are almost those "senior citizens" mentioned in the reading. It's enough to give me chills!!



3 comments:

Alicia said...

LOLOLOL

That would be Nights in White Satin, by the Moody Blues.

Anonymous said...

Nice. Thanks for participating.

Stella said...

Only if you live North of the Mississippi! :) On my sidee it would be KOLD radio, and I'm not quite ready to carry that card LOL! (even if it is fitting.)