Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Paczki Day is over



In the little corner of the world where I grew up, Phat Tuesday is known as Paczki Day.

A Paczki (pronounced Poonch-key) is sort of a jelly doughnut cross-bred with a hockey puck, creating a heavy, sweet, greasy, delectable pastry. According to legend, it was invented as a way for the people to use up all the perishable goodies that were not acceptable fare during Lent. This Polish treat is probably in the top 10 most fattening foods in the world! (But well worth every calorie.)

My former hometown newpaper, the Detroit Free Press, had a limerick contest in honor of the lovely Paczki. I composed one, but never sent it in because I couldn't remember my password to the site. However, here is my composition for your reading enjoyment.

(ahem.)

"There is a gal in Okie City
Who misses her hometown so pretty.
For never is seen
fine Polish cuisine.
So no Paczke this year, 'tis a pity."


Well...

It's a good thing I didn't send it in, because it would have been a lie! Arthur found two dozen beautiful Paczki at our local Homeland! Woo Hoo!

(That's my excuse for getting Phatter this week!)





No comments: