Sunday, May 17, 2009

Shelby has graduated!




Well, everybody, I have recovered enough to post a few photos! The ceremony was wonderful, and actually was not overly long because a thunderstorm had been threatening to hit the entire evening. The sky was ominous, and a distant rumble could be heard all the way through the graduation exercises!

I had questioned the rationale of holding the ceremony outdoors, particularly since the other two district high schools hold theirs at the Convention Center down town. The future alumni were quick to inform me that their school was the only high school in Oklahoma that had a fireworks display at the end of commencement, and they like it that way. I wondered what good that would do if it got rained out and we had to attempt to cram ten thousand people into a auditorium that seats a thousand, but I kept my misgivings to myself.

As it turned out, the rain didn't hit until the last fireworks were finished and everybody was on the way home. Then the floodwaters commenced!!! My sis-in-law quipped that of course Andy would never allow it to rain on his daughter's graduation. I tend to agree!

Arthur and I made it to the house before the full rain hit, but by the time Shelby and her friends arrived for her party it was pouring so hard that we had to get out towels to dry them off after they ran from their cars to the house.






Professor B, Shelby and her best friend Jammy:



Band Friends and Mr. Early:


The party was a triple-adult-chaperoned all-nighter for about 14 grads. We were very happy to give them a safe place to hang out and decompress after all the excitement! The kids had a blast, played Guitar Hero and, (believe it or not) Charades until dawn!



I am so proud of Shelby! But, now her day of glory is over, and the next chapter of her life is beginning. Plus, I'm kinda glad all the hoopla is over. Now I can enjoy visiting with Jimmy and my grand-twin that made the trip from Maine! They are staying until Wednesday, so time is very precious. So, see y'all Wednesday with more photos. :)


3 comments:

Rob said...

10,000 people? Ten thousand?Wow.

Congratulations to Shelby on her graduation!

Alicia said...

And congratulations to you for surviving!

Vanessa said...

Aww, congratulations to Shelby! That's fantastic, and she looks deservedly proud and happy.