Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The news out of Detroit


As former Detroiters, Arthur and I have been actively following the big news from there as it unfolds. It’s not particularly because we are news junkies, but because the arraignment hearing for Mayor Kilpatrick was heard today at the 36th District Court where Arthur worked for 33 years.


Arthur knows most of the behind-the-scenes people in this photo on a first name basis.

I have always loved the city of Detroit. I was born there, grew up there, and in the immortal words of Dorothy:

“There’s no place like home.”

But I feel so bad for my homeland, between the failing auto plants, the housing crisis that is even worse than the rest of the nation, and now this:

Full Coverage: A Mayor in Crisis.


1 comment:

Laura said...

American Axle (my father works there) has been on strike for 4 weeks, with almost no coverage (and no end in sight). You see it on the faces of people as you go about your day. Total loss...almost shell shock, over what MI has become.