Thursday, March 13, 2008

A Touch of Spring




My daffodils burst into bloom this morning. :)



This little bunch was cross-pollinated by John when he was 8 years old. He was fascinated with how new colors of flowers could be created by cross pollination, and asked if it would work with daffodils. I wasn’t sure; I had only done it with daylilies. I figured it wouldn’t hurt for him to try, and since I was busy with another garden project I told him how he could do it.

John spent about an hour rubbing the heads from a common yellow daffodil into the heads of some white ones. Now, that’s not a very scientific way to create hybrid flowers, but it worked! The seed pods grew into these yellow and white odd shaped flowers. I have seen some with similar color at the nursery, but shaped a bit differently.

Little surprises like these flowers keep me happy! :)

No comments: