Sunday, July 6, 2008

Five Hundred Miles (actually, two thousand.)


Well, they are gone. It was such a joy to have them here, but I feel so empty now.

We had a lively song fest for awhile yesterday evening to try out my brand new guitar. First Jimmy played, and then I took my turn. The songs were cheerful, even my little tongue-in-cheek goodbye song to the babies:

“…now it’s time to say goodbye to all our company.

M-I-C (see you real soon!) K-E-Y (why? Because Grandma loves you!) M-O-U-S-E!”
Jimmy left the room to pack up the car for the airport, and I smiled, snuggled my face into Stevie's feather-soft hair, and idly began singing him another old song:

“If you miss the train I’m on, you will know that I am gone, you can hear the whistle blow a hundred miles…”
I caught myself off guard with my choice of song. Right then, it hit me like a ton of bricks that they are leaving and it will be a year before I can see them again. Why does this country have to be so big, anyway?
“Lord I’m one, Lord I’m two, Lord I’m three, Lord I’m four, Lord I’m Five Hundred Miles away from home…”

I couldn’t finish the song. It made me cry.


5 comments:

Tanja said...

Awww.... Stella, I know how it feels when family leaves again. The house is suddenly too quiet, too big.
Glad you enjoyed their visit so much!!

Tanja

Maisy said...

I teared up too Stella - and I wasn't there cuddling those beautiful babies.

Ali

Anonymous said...

I have always needed to live away from my family. But that is just me.

The time will go faster than you think and in the meantime there are so many ways to keep in touch that weren't available to generations before us. We are pretty lucky in that respect.

Sari said...

Stella ((HUGS)) I'm sorry that must be very hard. I hope the time flies by but the babies stay small and adorable.

Anonymous said...

Coincidentally, Boris sang this to me today.

Hugs, dear friend. I hope the time until the next visit flies.